Sunday 22 January 2012

Happy CNY 2012 !!!

Back in Singapore after a week's long receiving and what better ways to celebrate other than to be able to spend some good quality time with my family and relatives over a reunion feast. I reckon this is my 3rd time back during the Chinese new year period but only the 2nd time actually being at the reunion dinner table.


031


My Dad's a strong traditionalist who firmly believes in reunion dinners taking place at home rather than at restaurants. So much so I don't recall ever having any dinners at a restaurant on Chinese New Year's Eve.

This year's dinner was to take place at my 3rd Uncle's place. Back in the good old days when Ah ma was around, dinner always took place at my house. Over the last decade, we have started rotating around the different households.

My 3rd Aunt is into her natural flavours when it comes to cooking and focuses on presentation as part of accentuating the chow down experience. Also being a whole zodiac cycle younger than my mum, her choice of ingredients are much more adventurous and modern.


003


The amount of preparation that goes into a CNY dinner cannot be taken lightly. Besides the considering the quantity, you need to think about catering to the different generations as well. In the past, it used to be more difficult with my little cousins (The Macdonald's Generation) being small and not liking the more blend par boiled steamboat ingredients. They much prefer deep fried stuff and ketchup haha. Now that they are older, they seem less interested with the deep fried morsels. I, on the other hand, just eat everything cos I am deprieved haha.


013


In contrast to the kiddies, my Uncles and Aunts much prefer their fishes. More on white rabbit fishes in another post but without fail, this prized item always squeezes itself onto the table. Being Teochew and liking fish is one thing but being in a family where your grandfather used to be a fisherman and having a Dad who travels all the way to Sembawang to buy fish at 4am on CNY day1 really says something about how much this family like their oceanic swimmers.


025


There is not limit to the variety of ingredients that you have. I am not even going to compare with Seoul garden but I am sure every family have their favourite items that they would like to have on their table. Its like going to CHina blue in Glasgow and ordering the same dishes every time -_- hahaha.

Prawns, pork, chicken, sea cucumber, fish maw, fish ball..... the list goes on and on .


016-2


I found this platter of cooked ingredients rather interesting. Reminds me of the cold appetiser / deli section in a Western buffet. Anyway, starting at the top and going clockwise, cold pork belly with crisp garlic, right century egg with ginger slices, abalone, cuttlefish, spicy bah kwa, Cherry TOMATO??? and in the centre, preserved spring onion bulbs ?


060-2


Huat AH !!!


077


Post Dinner activities heh heh heh.


078


In which I am not normally a winner -__- "




Happy Dragon Year Everybody. Hope you are taking time out to chat with your folks and celebrating wherever you might be . !!!

1 comment:

Happy walker said...

Happy Chinese New Year~~ wishing you to have a wonderful Dragon Year~~~ XD

Regards,
http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP