Saturday 25 April 2009

Mei Cai Kou Rou




Really tired at the moment... Long day of intermittent nuaing and studying. Whilst searching through my freezer for some dinner the other day, I found this piece of nice pork belly that I bought from Tesco. An idea sprung on to me. that I should make a mei cai kou rou. As you know, I like pork and I should try and eat less of this fatty stuff since I have had so much of it over the last month. Being health conscious is an occupation trait so you can't blame me lol.

It took me about half an hour to get it all ready for the steamer but that time seemed so much longer when the kitchen's slightly messier than most days and I was feeling rather knackered.

The end result, well it tasted alright. The top layer was really nice as it absored all the "chap" (gravy) but the lower layers tasted a wee bit blend. At the end of the day, it fed me to the brim but the effort just wasn't worth as much as going to the restaurant to have it served and eaten.

As a consolation, I manged to take some pictures of it and am quite pleased to see the nice contrast between the green broccoli and the pork. Oh yah, the broccoli's helped to make me less guilty haha.


Ingredients
-----------------
1 Kg Pork belly or less (Rolled up)

MARINATE
4 Tbsp dark soy sauce
6 Tbsp light soy sauce
2 Tbsp Rice wine
1 Tbsp Black bean sauce

6 Cloves of Garlic
2 Tbsp Sugar
1Tbsp Light Soy sauce
150g Preserved vegetables 梅菜


Marinate the belly with the sauces preferbly for 2hours or overnight for better taste. Remove the pork belly, and pat it dry with kitchen towels. Pan fry the pork till all sides are golden brown. Remove it and immerse in cold water. Next fry the garlic in some oil, add in the remaining marinate and the rest of the sauces plus the preserve vegetables. Fry till half of the water has evaporated. Slice the pork as thinly as you can and layer it in a bowl (suitable for steaming) Lastly, place the mei chai mixture over the pork. Steam for 1 hour at least. 2 hours if you got alot of gas (more tender meat). Serve with broccoli that has been par boiled for 2 mins.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP